@Quizizz : Say Goodbye to Worksheets and Crosswords

A conversation with Jon Corippo on episode 92 of the 10-Minute Teacher Podcast

From the Cool Cat Teacher Blog by Vicki Davis

Follow @coolcatteacher on Twitter

Today Jon Corippo @jcorippo talks about one of his favorite tools, Quizizz. He shares how you can use this tool to teach vocabulary and save time for other things!

quizizz how to teach vocabulary

Listen Now

Listen on iTunes

Click the button for iTunes or Stitcher to subscribe to this show

10-Minute Teacher Show Stitcher

In today’s show, Jon Corippo talks about how we can transform teaching vocabulary with Quizziz:

  • How Quizziz is different from Kahoot and Secretive
  • Saving time on vocabulary instruction
  • Making it easier to teach vocabulary
  • Tips and tricks from Jon’s experience
  • Unleashing students to help with this tool

I hope you enjoy this episode with Jon Corippo!

Want to hear another episode on technology tools? Listen to Jennifer Gonzalez talk about 5 tech tools every educator should try in 2017.

Selected Links from this Episode


Full Bio As Submitted


Jon Corippo

Jon Corippo

Jon Corippo

on Corippo is the Chief Innovation Officer for CUE, leading CUE’s professional learning throughout California and Nevada. Jon keynotes, leads and designs Professional Learning experiences all over the country. Jon’s core PL skills are focused on 1:1 deployment, Common Core, Project Based Learning, social media skills and Lesson Design. Jon is the creator of the CUE Rock Star Camp Series, The CUE Rock Star Admin Camp Series and planner for the CUE Super Symposium and JET Review Program.

Under Jon’s Leadership, and with his CUE Professional Learning Team, CUE PL has trained over 32,000 teachers in 2015-2017.

Jon is a Google Certified Innovator (#GTAWA 2011), has been a Lead Learner for a Google Teacher Academy (#GTAMTV2), is also an Apple Distinguished Educator and has facilitated over 10 Executive Briefings and led sessions in Final Cut Pro for the 2013 Apple Institute. Jon was the co-designer of Minarets High School, which originated as a GAFE, 1:1 Macbook and PBL based high school in 2008 and has been named an Apple Distinguished School three times. Jon has also been named a CUE Gold Disk Recipient, Madera County Teacher of the Year, and CVCUE Teacher of the Year. Jon has served as an Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum and Instruction and Director of Technology at the county level. Jon’s last district was selected as a Future Ready District, implementing 1:1 from 7th grade up, adding coding, 3d printing, PBL and Minecraft Edu in all K-8 schools, among other notable innovative activities.

Jon’s contact info:

Jon’s current CUE projects:

 Contact Jon: jcorippo@cue.org    Twitter: @jcorippo

Transcript for this episode


http://ift.tt/2sQEIrs

Download the transcript by clicking here

[Recording starts 0:00:00]

Episode 92. Quizzes. No more crosswords or worksheets.

The Ten-minute Teacher podcast with Vicki Davis. Every week day you’ll learn powerful practical ways to be a more remarkable teacher today.

VICKI:               Happy edtech tool Tuesday. We have John Corippo, @jcorippo

chief innovation officer of CUE, who has helped train 32,000 educators since he’s been there. So John, what is our edtech tool today?

JOHN:          Our edtech tool today is a tool that is totally free. It needs literally less than three minutes of PD. I mean, you just fill in the boxes. You don’t need PD. And it’s going to help teachers eliminate those fill in the blank PDFs or worksheets or word searches or crosswords that we use for vocabulary. And we’ll be talking about Quizizz; awesome tool. https://quizizz.com/

VICKI:          So how is Quizizz different? Because fill in the blank is fill in the blank, whether you will use edtech or not. So how is it different?

JOHN:          Well, so the difference is really here, and we talked about this in the preshow. The difference is pedagogy. So I’m going to take you back in my way back machine, in the year 2002; I’m minding my own business, teaching sixth grade, doing Latin roots. We get to the quarter final test. Now, the quarter final test is cumulative, right? And I want my kids to do really [well]. So on Monday, I give them the test. And they’re like, what; you’re giving us a test and it’s Monday. And I go, dude, just do the test and I’ll give you feedback. So I taught my kids how to self-correct. So out of the 45 words for the cumulative, we realized that a lot of us missed about the same 15. So I said, those will be our words for the week. So guess what we did on Tuesday. We did the test. Guess what we did on Wednesday. We did the test again, with immediate feedback. So when we got to Friday for the test – and I was teaching kind of a self-departmentalized; I had two groups of reading kids, so I had about 75 kids – and guess what; I didn’t give anybody less than a B. And I realized, oh my gosh, if I will simply train them and not count on them to do their flashcards or whatever it is they’re supposed to do for homework, I can massively increase their learning. So watch this right here.

And you’ve seen Kahoot www.getkahoot.com , Quizizz, Socrative www.socrative.com , Quizlet Live http://ift.tt/2kBXFe0 . There’s a bunch of different tools. But I’m going to tell you why Quizizz is my favorite here. So basically imagine this; it’s Monday morning, we have new vocab. Almost every teacher in almost every grade level has “vocab”. So the kids come in, I don’t do any direct instruction, Vicki. I don’t lecture, I don’t give them the words; I just crank up the quizzes, they go for. Now, let’s say we’ve got 15 words this week; let’s say that they get half of them right. Right away, check this out; it’s not that they got half wrong, it’s that they got half right. So now, out of the 15, guess what; we’ve only got to focus on seven, and it’s Monday. So I take the seven. And Quizizz has a really cool feature where your questions turn into slides; you just hit review quiz. So I click through the slides and I give the kids immediate feedback; the correct answer for this is this, and here’s why, and there’s a picture that goes with it. The correct answer of this is this, and this is why, and here’s a picture that goes with it. And then guess what we do; we do the test again, right then. We do it twice on Monday. And this is the beauty of technology. I’ve already done this, and I know it works on paper. The problem is, doing it on paper, it takes three reams of paper a week.

VICKI:          Yeah. And it takes forever to grade.

JOHN:          Forever to grade, right? So one of my things – and I love Kahoot too. But one of my things I love over Quizizz is it gives you a class total on the fly. It’s not just the top five kids; you get to see the class total. You get to see how many kids have passed or not passed on the fly, immediately. So I’m going to rewind a little bit – no, I’ll go fast-forward. So imagine; Monday morning, we’ve got 15 new science words, we’ve got 15 new math words, we’ve got 15 new spelling words. What grade? Any grade, realistically. The kids come in, I say, get out your phones, or get out your Chromebooks or your iPads; boom, we’re going to do the test. Now, based on how many they got right, I’m going to give them a mini lesson and I’m going to hit them again. I can do this with human children in under 15 minutes. So I want you to imagine now; what are they going to do for homework? They don’t need homework. We’re doing the work in class. Which means the homework can be more advanced things. The homework could be research reports. The homework could be lit circles. It could be way richer experiences.

Now, Tuesday morning rolls around, same protocol; boom, boom. I give them the quiz again. In most experiences that I’ve done this with – and I’ve done this exact protocol; I want you to hold on your mouth for a second here. I have done this protocol with 700 teachers in a room, and I make them do it on Nintendo. You know why Nintendo? They all fail. It is horrific. 600 people are going to get a D right now. So I do the same exact protocol. I teach them about the questions, I give them the quiz again. In the group that was the biggest group, it was almost 700 people; we went from three perfect scores to over 300 perfect scores in nine minutes.

VICKI:          Wow. And only just teaching to the test, do you think the students will really understand the content? I mean, we do know that kids do have to memorize before we can move up, so memorization is something we have to do.

JOHN:          Right. So that’s a great pushback question. If there’s a DOK.5, this is it. But here is the magic of this; here is the magic. If I take 10 minutes to do this on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, guess what’s going to happen on Thursday. They’re going to come in and I’m going to do this; I’m going to say, you guys, if the class average is higher than a 90%, I’m going to walk right over to my little computer right here, I’m going to put A and then I’m going to hit fill it out, because I’m just going to go ahead and give you all an A. now, the magic of that process is, that used to be two to three days a week of class for me, complete days, to get out the new words, to make sure they’re doing their homework. Now, what if I gave myself those two days back? So what this really is doing is it’s not eliminating the okay one; it’s automating it. It’s automating it. Imagine – because in my scenario, guess what happens; we do the test on Thursday. That means, if I used to do the test on Friday, and it used to take at least a half of the class period, I just gave myself a half of the class period back a week for the rest of my career. So do you see the little magic here? It is DOK 1. Oh my gosh, it’s so DOK 1. But I’m getting myself – like Alice Keeler talks about; I’m not throwing all my papers in a rolling cart and dragging it home over the weekend and then not grade, and bringing them back.

VICKI:          Oh, that’s true. Well, and this is something that we need to do. And the thing about technology is we want to let technology do what it does best. And it does this sort of thing best.

JOHN:          Yes. Well, now, if you want to move to DOK 3ish, 2.5 to 3. I don’t know if there’s 0.5s; I’m just making that up. But let’s say you want to get the kids more involved, you want them operating on a higher level. Once we do this for about three weeks, you know what I’m going to start doing? Hey, you guys, table four, you’re making the test for next week. Now, I just handed that off to them. They’re now operating at a higher level because they’re having to find the right pictures; they’re having to consider the information. And this works all the way from fourth grade kids working on Ancient Egypt all the way through an AP class. So just with that little [catena slice 0:07:16], I moved them from DOK 1 to DOK 3; I would say at least 2, 2.5. And, again, productivity-wise; the time I’m getting back. I’m getting the time back to do those richer experiences. And that’s one of the two biggest things we deal with in this class. We don’t have enough funding; we don’t have enough time. I can’t give everybody some money, but I can give them a lot of time.

And this protocol still works with other tools, like Socrative. A twist on it that I do with Socrative is I’ll go into Socrative and just have a quick question. I don’t make any questions; there’s no exam view. I just put up a quick question that’s open-ended, and I say to the kids, I would like for you to write a compound sentence, and then they all have to type a compound sentence. So who am I getting answers from?

VICKI:          Everybody.

JOHN:          Everybody. When am I getting them? Right now. And then in that quick quiz mode in Socrative, you can push a button that says start vote. So imagine that the kids can now give feedback on the best compound sentence, and then I make sure everybody is good to go. I clear the room, I hit finish, and then I do the same thing again. Hey, you guys, guess what I’m going to ask you. And one kid will go, you want us to write a better compound sense? And I go, yes, I am. I don’t need worksheets. All I need to know is the right question to ask. I can ask about compound, complex, semicolon, appositive; any concept like that. I can have the kids read a poem and tell me their favorite line and why it’s an analogy; boom. No worksheet; instant feedback. I thought you’d dig that, Vicki, because it’s a real good tech appendage.

VICKI:          This is great. It’s stated you have an instruction. But here is the thing. It’s like if you grade any fill in the blank or multiple choice, there’s no point. Why are you grading it? There’s no reason to be grading it. There’s so many tools that can do that for you and give you instant feedback. And you can instantly change how you teach and instantly be a better teacher, and do less work. It’s like, why are people grading anything? Yeah, you’re still going to have to grade your essays and your other things, but why are you grading any of this stuff? I mean, when I started using formative assessment like this to teach binary numbers, I used to teach – binary numbers used to take seven days. I pulled it down to five. Now I teach it in three, and they know it better in three days.

JOHN:          Oh my gosh. You got to check Quizizz out. Now, here is what I like. I love me some Kahoot. But here is what I like about Quizzes better over Kahoot; two main things. One is I get the score for the entire class, not just the top five kids. That’s critical to me because everybody gets feedback. The other thing I like is it’s not whole group. The questions and the answers are jumbled, so everybody is proceeding at their own pace. And I can turn the timer off. Not every kid is ready for that timer action. Not every kid is ready for the timer.

VICKI:          And not every kid needs a timer, according to their accommodations.

JOHN:          No-no. And so what I tell people is – I don’t know; I think you’re old enough like me to remember this. Remember the old commercial in the early ‘70s where the car drives by and throws the trash out the window, and the Native American chief has a little teardrop. Every time I see somebody on Twitter tweeting, oh, I’m using Quizzes or Kahoot for the test, I get a little tear like that. I’m like, no, you use Quizzes and Kahoot and Socrative for the instruction; for the instruction. Don’t have new flashcards to get ready for the Kahoot quiz. Oh my gosh, that’s so backwards. And I would like to quote my friend Sam Patterson. He really got me thinking super aggressively about this. He has a great little one-paragraph blog that says, don’t raise your hand; I’m calling on everybody.

VICKI:          I love that. That’s awesome, and a great way to end.

 

Thank you for listening to the Ten-minute Teacher Podcast. You can download the show notes and see the archive at http://ift.tt/2quX4Nu. Never stop learning.

 

[End of Audio 0:11:04]

 

[Transcription created by tranzify.com. Some additional editing has been done to add grammatical, spelling, and punctuation errors. Every attempt has been made to correct spelling. For permissions, please email lisa@coolcatteacher.com]

The post @Quizizz : Say Goodbye to Worksheets and Crosswords appeared first on Cool Cat Teacher Blog by Vicki Davis @coolcatteacher helping educators be excellent every day. Meow!



From http://ift.tt/2r3KuVl
via Vicki Davis at coolcatteacher.com. Please also check out my show for busy teachers, Every Classroom Matters and my Free teaching tutorials on YouTube.

Popular Posts